Our Athletics Program
At Sandy Spring Friends School, our athletics program focuses on creating balance and developing skills that will help on and off the field. As students participate in sports and physical education, they learn how to set long-term goals and be dedicated to them, learn how to problem solve in the midst of pressure-filled situations, and learn to recognize the importance of honest effort, competition, contribution, and sportsmanship.
'Beests Athletics Quick Facts
2 gymnasiums—including an Athletic Complex with a fitness center and 40-foot climbing wall—plus 3 athletic fields, and 6 miles of cross-country trails.
33 Interscholastic Sports Teams in the Middle and Upper School.
Inclusive, non-competitive options provided to our students.
Full-time Athletic Trainer
Our Middle School and Upper School student athletes compete in the Potomac Valley Athletic Conference (PVAC).
Since 2015, our Wildebeests (or 'Beests) teams have won the following PVAC championships:
- 2015 Baseball Champions
- 2015 Baseball Tournament Champions
- 2015 PVAC Girls Middle School Cross Country Champions
- 2016 Boys Basketball Tournament Champions
- 2016 Baseball Champions
- 2016 Baseball Tournament Champions
- 2017 Boys Basketball Champions
- 2017 Boys JV Basketball Champions
- 2018 Boys Middle School Cross Country Champions
- 2018 Girls Middle School Cross Country Champions
- 2018 Boys Basketball Champions
- 2018 Boys Basketball Tournament Champions
- 2018 Men’s Cross Country Independent School Maryland State Champions
- 2019 GirlsMiddle School Basketball Champions
- 2019 Girls Basketball Tournament Champions
- 2019 Girls Basketball North Division Champions